Now we all know that I have a thing for chocolate.
It's no secret. I've even been found with a spoonful of nutella in my mouth after a particularly long day at work, or you know, on a Tuesday.
But I digress, chocolate.
It's one of my favourite things.
Thing is, the store bought stuff doesn't make me feel good anymore. The sugar rush, the headache, the sick feeling. All things that I'm not too keen on having in my life. I'm all about making myself feel good, strong and powerful. Unfortunately for me, processed, full of sugar chocolate no longer fits in.
So I'm finding alternatives. Ways to have chocolate that makes me feel good. Raw chocolate, superfood hot chocolate & brownies, almond raw chocolate cups....etc etc.
The latest thing on my list? Chocolate granola. Why the fuck not.
You will need:
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup dessicated coconut
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 cup mixed nuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1/5 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
The big "How to":
- Preheat oven to 120 C and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Combine oats, chopped nuts, dessicated coconut, cocnut flakes, chia seeds and the coconut sugar.
- Over a low heat melt the coconut oil and add the honey, vanilla, salt and cacao powder. Which gently until completely combined and smooth.
- Lick the whisk. Delicious huh?
- Pour the chocolate sauce over the dry ingredients and fold together until completely coated.
- Spread mixture evenly over the lined tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time.
- It can be a little tricky to tell when it's done due to the dark colour of the granola but dig a spoon in and test by taste! If it needs a litttle longer then pop it back in and mix every 3 or 4 minutes until it is done to your liking.
*recipe inspired & adapted from here