(I blame the hormones)
But there wasn't a chance in hell that I was going to get dressed (pfft) and trek down to Sainsbury's to stock up on over processed and unhealthy treats. No Sir. I decided to make my own.
I grabbed lots of stuff out of the cupboards and got started.
You will need:
- 7 pitted organic medjool dates
- 50g extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (I made my own using the Nutri-bullet but you can buy this in jars - which I wish I never learnt as it is damn delicious!)
- 50g cacao powder
- 40g desiccated coconut
- 80g walnuts
- 1 big handful of goji berries
- 1 tsp pink himalayan rock salt
The big "How To":
- In a bowl, mash up your dates until they become paste like. I added a little water to get things going and soften them up, it shouldn't take too long but keep at it!
- Blend your walnuts in a blender until they are in small pieces. I kept a few of the walnut pieces big though as I love having that chunky aspect to the brownies.
- Next up, combine the walnuts, goji berries, salt, coconut and cacao powder in a mixing bowl.
- In a double-boiler, melt the coconut oil and the almond butter down to a liquid. Stir frequently.
- Once it is a liquid, pour over the dry ingredients, add the date paste and stir till it is all combined.
- Taste. Smile. Taste a little more...
- Adjust the brownies to taste, you can add a few big walnuts, a shake more coconut,a spoonful more of almond butter... you get the idea!!
- Press into a baking dish & chill in the fridge.
- Once chilled, chop up or eat straight from the tray with a fork!!
Side note: I tend to keep my brownies in the fridge as our kitchen can get quite warm in the day and I prefer them to be a little cold. But once again, your preference!