Drink more water.
The amount of people I know who don't drink enough water (or any at all) is astounding. It's super super important. Here's why...
1. Drinking water can help you lose weight by flushing down the by-products of fat breakdown. Oh and it also works as a brilliant appetite suppressant.
2. It can also help reduce water retention as your your body won't try to retain water if it's getting enough.
3. It can be a natural remedy for headaches. A lot of headaches are caused by dehydration and so instead of reaching for the pain killers, try a pint of water instead.
4. Your skin will be ah-mazing if you are flushing it from inside. I promise. You will really notice a difference after just a week of upping your water intake. Your skin will be clearer, more moisturised/hydrated and full of glow!
4. You will notice that your energy levels improve with the more water you drink. Water flushes out the toxins and waste products that can build up throughout the body and cause fatigue.
5. Drinking water can increase your cognitive function.Your brain needs a lot of oxygen in order to function at optimum levels and drinking plenty of water ensures that your brain gets all the oxygen it needs. I am all about expanding brain power!
5. Staying hydrated is one of the best preventatives of UTI's and kidney infections. Drinking water increases the flow of urine, which helps flush the bacteria out the system responsible for the infection. If you are prone to UTI's like I am, you will notice that if you are sufficiently hydrated you will have a better chance of avoiding them.
If you are one of those people who don't like the taste of water (Tash, here's looking at you) or find it hard to drink enough throughout the day then these tips might help:
- Flavour the water you drink
Chuck something in and you will be surprised at how much more refreshing water can taste. There are tonnes of resources on the web about it but here is a good one (50 Awesome Flavoured Waters) if you get stuck.
- Carry a bottle of water around with you everywhere
- Set reminders
- Have a glass first thing and last thing
- Eat hydrating fruit & veg
Lettuce, Cucumber, Celery, Zucchini, Tomatoes, Spinach, Watermelon, Strawberries, Broccoli, Grapefruit, Peach, Carrots, Pineapple, Raspberries and apples all have a water content higher than 85% !
So, that was my advice...drink more water - even Goblin wants to get involved with the cucmber water - and then go listen to Baz.